You are invited to join Antiracism Learning Circles this winter and spring. It’s on zoom, so you can join from anywhere! First Unitarian in Portland, OR is the organizer, and we are eager to include participation from all faiths and allies everywhere. We hope you can join us and that you’ll help spread the word.
Full descriptions, schedules & registration information are HERE.
This winter & spring 2024 we are offering:
- Seeing White – the real history of the US, the one none of us were taught in school. This is where to start your journey! (podcast series)
- The Land That Has Never Been Yet – an examination of whether we have ever had a real democracy (podcast series)
- The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story – edited by Nikole Hannah-Jones – a profoundly reveling vision of American past and present
- Say What You Mean: A Mindful Approach to Nonviolent Communication – by Oren J. Sofer
- The Conspiracy to End America: Five Ways My Old Party is Driving Our Democracy to Autocracy – by Stuart Stevens
- My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Mending of our Bodies and Hearts – by Resmaa Menakem
- The Sum Of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together – by Heather MaGhee
- Just Action: How to Challenge Segregation Enacted Under the Color of Law – by Leah Rothstein & Richard Rothstein
- Shielded: How The Police Became Untouchable – by Joanna Schwartz
- (Additional offerings will be added to the link above as they become availalbe.)
LEARNING CIRCLES are small discussion cohorts based on a book or podcast that provide:
- Important learning about white supremacy, racism, and our national history
- The opportunity to build trust and go deep in small group discussions over time
- A safe place to have difficult discussions and deal with discomfort
- An opportunity to create and strengthen relationships with others
- Connection, focus and purpose in a virtual setting
How Do LEARNING CIRCLES Work?
- Each cohort (typically 4-12) gathers for a series (from 4-10 sessions) of facilitated Zoom discussions.
- Register for a particular Learning Circle. Meeting dates & times vary.
- Each individual is given the opportunity to share reactions, then discuss as a group
- We ask that you plan to attend all sessions so we can build bonds of trust and insight
For questions contact Jody Feldman @ email@example.com